Coaching Staff Profile
Louis Drummond – Immac Soccer Coach
- Where were you born and raised? Montreal, Quebec and then attended Western University in London, Ontario. I moved to Kelowna in 1995.
- What is your role at Immac? Head Coach of the Senior Girls Soccer team and devoted assistant to Mr. Freire with the Senior Boys Soccer team.
- How long have you been coaching at Immac? 4 years
- What led you to coaching? I started coaching 14 years ago when my daughter, Francesca, asked me to coach her when she was 5. Since then I worked through community coaching courses with BC Soccer and last year took the C Licence course in February, which is geared towards coaching high performance young teenagers.
- How did you end up at Immac? I ended up involved with Immac when my daughter moved to the school in grade 9. A year later, with months of coercion, I managed to get Mr. Freire to invite me to Prince George for my first girls’ provincials.
- What are some of your favourite memories at Immac? My favourite Immac memories revolve around the trips taken with the boys and girls teams. Winning is always awesome, but really I enjoy each of the trips for their own reasons. Getting to know the kids over the course of a few days away makes coaching more enjoyable and the relationships stronger.
The first trip to Prince George with my daughter on the team is a special memory. As are the boys’ provincial tournaments in Duncan and Surrey. Last year's girls team was, and is, a very special group. They are as kind and funny and supportive as they are talented.
- What lessons have you learned from Immac students? Immac students have taught me that family can exist outside the home. I am so fortunate to have them include me in a slice of their lives.
- What would you like Immac students to learn from you? I hope I have taught the kids to be committed to their choices. To support each other first, and reap the benefits that follow. To allow themselves to enjoy the big moments in the big games, rather than fear them. To keep winning.
- What do you like to do in your spare time? In my spare time I like to....coach soccer :-) I like to hike the mountains in the Kootenays with my family and dogs. I also enjoy working on interpretive dance routines with Matt Hopley.
- Words of wisdom from the Coach: Immac is a unique opportunity for kids to thrive in a small, caring community. I implore the kids to not wish it away, or search for what may seem greener pastures. You are in a good place. Embrace it and help it grow.
From Mrs. Freya Vos, Co-Coach of the Girls’ Soccer Team:
“Louis has been fundamental to building and maintaining the successful soccer program at our school. It is worth saying that he works hard to build strong relationships with his players and goes the extra mile to support them on and off the pitch.”