Immaculata Regional High School is a Catholic High School, established by the Catholic Public School Society of Nelson Diocese under the direction of the Kelowna Catholic Public School Council. Immaculata presents itself in service to the students and families in our Catholic community.
We are a community of teachers, support staff, clergy, parents and students engaged in the common task of empowering each student to learn how to do all that he/she is capable of doing. This development of strong capable young people, with clear perceptions of their personal capabilities and high self esteem should not be left to chance. The school's role in the midst of our ever changing society is to give students good judgement and decision-making skills to enable them to cope with many new challenges. Students must leave school with a well-developed spiritual life, a high degree of self-awareness, empathy for social justice and third world ministry, and the ability to help their friends at a time of crisis.
The ultimate goal of Immaculata Regional High School is to develop in its graduates a value orientation that puts high priority on formation of leaders in service to others. Specific objectives to develop such a graduate may best be summarized in five main categories.
Built in 1995, Immaculata has a capacity to educate 350 students each year. Our building and grounds include:
In 1860, Father Pandosy, an Oblate Missionary, moved to the Mission Creek area, took out a preemption on a small tract of land and by 1885 Okanagan Mission comprised some two thousand acres. By 1884, besides residences, the settlement included a large mission church and the first school in the southern interior. Father Pandosy must thus be credited with planting the first "seed" of Catholic education in the Central Okanagan.
In 1938, the Sisters of Charity began formal instruction. By September 1950, St. Joseph Elementary School officially opened for instruction of grades K-7 inclusive. With the completion of Immaculata High School in 1960 a complete Catholic education from Kindergarten to Grade 12 was realized. The Sisters of Charity of Halifax ably assisted the first principal.
In 1979, the Basilian Fathers first became involved in our schools. Immaculata was officially under the direction of the Basilian Fathers until 1992. Plans for a new facility were begun in earnest.
In September 1995, through the perseverance of Bishop Peter Mallon a new Immaculata Regional High School was opened. The new facility can house 300 students, with plans to expand to 600 students when needed.